Monday, November 17, 2014

Working nights

Last night I worked my first night shift in over two years.  I am sure most people who follow this blog know this already, but just in case you don't, I switched jobs after William was born.  I am back in the NICU working with precious but sick little babies.  While my other job in the Infusion Clinic was not terribly interesting, it did have a great schedule.  So now I am back to working some nights, weekends, and holidays.  It stinks, but those babies need nurses even on holidays.  I will be working a rotating shift, which means that I will be working about half the time on days and half the time on nights.  It is a little crazy, but at least not all of my shifts are at night. 

So David had the kids all to himself last night for the first time.  I actually put William to bed before I left for work (he goes to sleep around 6pm).  On my way out, I gave David a kiss and wished him luck.  For me, William usually gets up about two times a night, around 11pm and 4am.  Sometimes he gets up more, and on the really good nights, he just gets up once around 3am.  I was a little worried about David getting up at night, but he used to do it with Eliana, so I knew he was fully capable.  I came home in the morning and anxiously asked David how the night went.  Do you know what that little stinker did?  He slept 11 hours straight!  David didn't have to get up until 5am.  William has never done that before.  What a glorious night, and I didn't get to enjoy any of it!  What do you think the chances are of a repeat for tonight??

Not all the pictures can be adorable.  This one just makes me laugh.

I might not get much sleep, but at least I get a smiling baby to help me do the laundry.  Totally worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment