Friday, January 20, 2017

The current state of sleep at our house

Here is an example of a slightly worse than usual but not that uncommon of a night of sleep in this house:

Last night we managed to have all three kids in bed by 7:30pm.  I knew it was too good to last, so I snuck in a quick nap on the couch.  At 8, Laney woke up.  Amazingly, after nursing, she went back to sleep pretty quickly.  Bed before 9pm is a very early night for her.  Once she was down again, I cleaned up the kitchen and got ready for bed.  David and I were in bed by 9:30pm, which is a really early night for us.  At 11, Laney woke up.  David went in to rock her to sleep.  At midnight, William (who has a cold right now) woke himself up by coughing.  I went in there and took a few minutes to comfort him and get him to go back to sleep.  He woke up again at 2:30am.  This time he was really upset for some reason, and it probably took me 20 minutes to get him to settle down and finally fall asleep.  At 4:30, Laney woke up again to nurse.  After nursing, she fell asleep and I put her to bed. She immediately woke up and started crying.  So we played this game on and off for the next thirty minutes.  At 5:20, David's alarm goes off and he gets up to get ready for work.  I'm still with Laney.  At 5:40, Eliana comes in Laney's room and tells me she's ready to get up and have breakfast.  I tell her that despite the fact that her father is showering, it is not morning time, it is the middle of the night, and she needs to go back to bed.  Eliana heads back to her room but 5 minutes later she is up, insisting that she can't sleep and that she is ready for breakfast.  So I pass the girls off to David and head back to bed myself.  At 6, David brings Laney back to me to nurse.  Then she finally falls asleep.  At 6:15, David goes to work.  I tell Eliana she can stay up, but she has to sit on the couch reading books until it is morning time.  I sleep like the dead from 6:15 until 7am, when William comes in my room to let me know he is ready for breakfast.  Looks like it's time for the day to start.

I realize this probably isn't that unusual for any mom of three kids 5 and under, but I really struggle with it sometimes.  It's like those kids conspire against me at the beginning of the night.  They make a plan of each waking up at different hours to ensure I never get too many hours of sleep in a row.  I just remind myself that this is just a stage and that eventually I will get to sleep again...


She's so stinkin' cute!  Good thing or I would almost not want to keep you...

No comments:

Post a Comment