Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mother's Day and Father's Day

For Mother's Day this year, David asked me what I would like.  I told him two things: one, I did not want to cook at all that day.  Two, I would like the kitchen floor mopped.  Mopping the floor is one of my top "want to do but never seem to find the time to do it" chores.  Our light colored kitchen floor shows dirt so easily but mopping never seems to trump dishes and laundry for most needed, so it just never gets done.  Anyway, I had the most wonderful Mother's Day.  I can't think of a much better day.  The kids went with David to the Lil Donut Factory and got me donuts for breakfast.  Then everyone dressed up really nicely for church and looked beautiful.  David made a delicious lunch and dinner, and cleaned up the kitchen after all the meals.  I was able to relax all day and just spend time with the kids without trying to get anything done.  And the best part was when David asked the older two to help him mop the kitchen.  They were so excited!  I really should mop more often, since the kids like it so much.  It really isn't even a chore haha.  I sat in Laney's room nursing her to sleep for a nap while I watched my amazing crew work on the kitchen.  Eliana had a scrub brush and was hitting all of the worst spots on her hands and knees.  William followed behind with a toothbrush while Eliana directed him on what to do.  Then David mopped right along behind them, making sure it was all sparkling clean.  As I rocked Laney, I just thought about how lucky I am to be so loved.  It was an absolutely perfect day.

Watching the cleaning crew.  It was quite a sight.  See Eliana trying to show William what to do?  And note my toes in the bottom of the picture - that's because I was sitting back with my feet up!

Pretty girl on Mother's Day

Tried to get a picture of my kids dressed so nice.  This was the best....

Now trying outside

Still can't get a great picture, but there is a lot of love in this one anyway!
For Father's Day, Eliana's friend Violet said that she was going to bring her dad breakfast in bed.  Eliana thought that was a great idea!  Unfortunately, David had to work on Father's Day, so breakfast in bed would have to be served around 5:30am.  I told Eliana that just wouldn't work this year.  So instead, she had the great idea to serve David ice cream in bed!  When David got home from work in the evening, she told him to go right to bed.  David gave her a strange look, but obliged.  We had made homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream the day before (with mint from our garden!) which we scooped up for him along with store bought chocolate.  Then Eliana and William rushed the bowl into our room for him.  David found the whole thing very sweet and funny.  He ate his ice cream and the got back up to spend the evening with the family.  So while his day wasn't quite as relaxed as mine was, I think he still felt how loved he was by the kids and me. 

Ice cream in bed!

Will wasn't so worried about getting to be with his dad as he was about getting a scoop of his ice cream. (This totally made me thing of Will from when Laney was born.)

No comments:

Post a Comment