Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas time

St. Nicholas stopped by our house earlier this month, and Eliana was very excited!  We told her the story of St. Nicholas and how he puts presents in people's shoes.  She then ran to her room to pick out a shoe for herself, and then one for each of the rest of us too.  Later, when I said something about St. Nicholas bring something for Spot the dog, Eliana said, "Silly Mom, dogs don't wear shoes!"

I couldn't get her to stand still for a picture.  St. Nicholas brought her an orange (which she kept calling a watermelon), a chocolate Santa on a stick, and a toy.  She had chocolate for breakfast that morning :)

The aftermath...
 A couple of days ago, Eliana and I hung up Christmas lights while William was taking a nap.  Eliana was most excited about putting them on a little tree in our yard.  She asked if it was a Christmas tree, and when I said yes, she squealed with delight.  But then she wanted me to stop putting the lights on the fence so she could use the strand as a seat belt for her bus.  While I didn't do it, I was impressed with her imagination. 
Eliana checking the length of the strand of lights.

Dixie also came outside to help us.

Being my little helper.

But then she got bored and wandered off
I love the lights!  They look so pretty twinkling outside my window.  More than any other decorating I have done, the lights make me feel like it is Christmas time.  I also pulled out a carved Nativity set.  Eliana has been really into all of my Christmas things this year.  (I will be lucky if any of them are still in one piece by Dec 26th).  She took this Nativity set down from the shelf and was showing it to William (she turned around to show me when I got out the camera).  It was so cute!  She was telling William whom each piece was and demonstrating how the angel spins (I'm not entirely sure it is supposed to do that, but it does now).  William just sat there taking it all in. 


Today we made some "snow" to play with.  It is really easy to make.  Combine 2 cups corn starch with 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil.  Eliana was having a great time scooping it, packing it into balls, and pouring it on things.  Then she decided to take her socks off and try putting her feet in it.  I was okay with that and thought she had a neat idea.  Then Eliana decided to lay in the snow.  I wasn't quite as excited about that idea, but kids are supposed to be messy, right?  It actually cleaned up pretty easy because I just took tarp outside, shook all of the snow into the grass, swept the kitchen floor, and threw Eliana into the tub.  What a quick and easy winter activity!



No comments:

Post a Comment