Monday, December 18, 2017

St. Nick Day and other Christmas things

St. Nick came to our house this year.  Eliana and Will carefully gathered up everyone's shoes the night before and set them out for St. Nick to visit.  In preparation, we also watched a video about St. Nicholas and talked about how generous he was in giving gifts to others because of his love for Jesus.  Our church has a subscription for a website called Formed that has a ton of Catholic media - audiobooks, talks, movies, and kid's cartoons. Will and Ana love the kid's stuff - saint videos and Brother Francis cartoons (he teaches lessons on things like prayer or the Eucharist).  Mostly though they were just excited about the candy.
Laney says, "Is this what I think it is??"

It is! Candy!

Golden coins in her shoe.

Will put out his rain boot because it was the biggest shoe he could find.

When we first moved in this house, I said that I wanted electric added to the kid's playroom in the basement so that I could put the Christmas tree down there.  David was aghast at the time. You want the tree down in the basement?? But we only have so much space upstairs and it is jam packed with all of our regular furniture.  Two years ago we had a very tiny Christmas tree.  Last year we did end up putting the tree upstairs in the living room per David and Eliana's request.  I found it constantly in the way.  It took up a lot of space and the kids were always pulling pine needles off of it and making a big mess.  I know, just call me the Grinch.  This year, when it came time to put up the tree, I asked David were he wanted it.  To my surprise, he said, "The playroom." So my wish came true.  All that electrical work that my dad did was finally put to good use.  The tree went up in the basement!  Really, I thought it looked nice and the kids didn't mind at all.  As an added bonus, I didn't have to lug the tree upstairs since we store it in the basement anyway (I know, I'm still the Grinch haha).





Last, here is a photo of Will in his preschool Christmas Concert.  The past couple of years when Eliana was in preschool, I would get a good preview of the show because she would be constantly singing the songs at home (word for word and in tune).  Will doesn't seem quite as musically inclined. He rarely sings the songs and when he does, he usually only knows a few works.  He also more just recites the words, instead of singing them, so I have trouble guessing what song he is really trying to sing.  He did, however, get really into the motions that go with the song.  During the concert, I could tell that he often forgot the words, but boy would he be going all out on the hand motions!  I just loved watching his concert.  It was more of a surprise this year because he is not as vocal about what he is doing in school or what they have been working on.  So to see him perform at the concert, knowing how hard he must have been practicing all those weeks at school, was really special. 

This is like playing Where's Waldo ... Will is in a striped shirt. Can you find him? (Third from the left in the front row.)



No comments:

Post a Comment