Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Newborns don't sleep

Laney Lu has been giving us a bit of a hard time these first two weeks of our life.  When William was born, he was the easiest and sweetest baby ever.  He hardly ever cried and slept all the time.   I thought, "Second baby - we've got this figured out.  Look what good parents we are!"  Then Laney was born.  She has definitely humbled me as a parent - I am not the expert I wanted to believe I was.  Except for the first hour of her life when she was really calm, she has been pretty darn fussy and needs lots of attention and comforting.  She especially hates to sleep at night.  For the first week of her life, she would cry the second you tried to set her down at night.  During the day she would be willing to take naps but at night, she hardly slept at all.  Just nursed and cried.  David and I would take turns staying awake with her so the other parent could sleep.  After nursing on and off for four hours in the middle of the night, I would tag out and tell David it was his turn.  Then I would try to get some sleep while I heard Laney fussing and David trying to soothe her.  It's been kinda terrible!  Now Laney will sleep for a few hours in her bassinet at night, but usually when she wakes up it is not a simple feed and go back to sleep.  She wakes in the middle of the night and eats then wants to stay awake for an hour or two to play.  While this has been difficult and David and I are both really tired, I can appreciate the beauty these night time play sessions.  It is my chance to be with Laney by myself.  No big kids jumping on my while I nurse or tapping her on her head.  No demands from big kids for playing dinosaurs or getting a snack.  Maybe Laney appreciates this one on one mommy time too.  So for now I've been trying to be patient as Laney figures out her day vs night schedule.  And I've been soaking up all the baby time I can, because I know all too well how quick time moves. 

First day home

They love her so much!


Reading with Dad

Sometimes William can be so sweet with his sister.
Grandparents come to visit.  My mom stayed with the big kids while I was in the hospital then took them back to Indy with her for a few days.  It was so wonderful to have a couple of days at home with just David, Laney, and me.  I love my big kids, but the two days were the calm before the storm of all the activity a family of five brings.

Grandpa Flanigan holding Laney.  Don't worry, he's not making her cry.  That's a pretty typical state for her.

Grandma Bond.  David's parents came to visit to meet their newest granddaughter and to celebrate David's birthday.  We had a beautiful day together with many many things to be thankful for!

Snuggles with Grandpa Bond.

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job managing everything and hopefully this fussy stage passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete