Wednesday, April 5, 2017

And if you have teeth, you should use them!

I don't know if it is the teeth or not, but Laney has always loved to chew on things or put them in her mouth.  She will bite your finger off if you give her the chance.  So I thought she would be pretty excited about starting baby foods.  Boy, was I wrong!  A week before she turned 6 months old, I offered Laney baby rice cereal mixed with breast milk.  In case you don't know, this is a flavorless cereal so it should taste just like breast milk.  What's not to love?

I let her hold onto a spoon so we didn't have to fight over mine.

Taking a few bites

Eliana wanted to get in on the action.

She hated it! She says, "Why are you trying to poison me, mom?"
However, I have found that Laney just doesn't like change and is slow to warm up to new things.  After about 3 tries with the cereal, she realized it was pretty good and now loves it!
Mmmm-mmm!
Up next were more flavors - baby food!  I started with carrots.
Once again, she's not a big fan.

Kind of tolerating it. For a few bites at least.
I have found though that if I keep offering something, she eventually likes it.  So far she has tried carrots, peas, green beans, and apple sauce.  Along with a variety of things she has grabbed off of our plates (which she never really likes).  Now she is a big fan of eating!
I ate all my peas!!
Up next is sweet potato.

To be fair, I could see how eating baby food might be tough.  It is quite a commotion at our house at meal times.  Usually William is a dinosaur and roaring through dinner.  Eliana is yelling at him to stop, and I am trying to keep everyone at the table with their cups upright.  When we feed Laney, this is her view:
You'd probably be scared to eat too!
PS.  This reminds me of a funny story, unrelated to Laney eating.  Last night I made kale for dinner.  Eliana claims she does not like kale, but eats it to make her muscles strong.  Last night while eating it, she declared that she was a giraffe and eating leaves.  William thought that sounded awesome, so he became a giraffe (they were both trying to stretch their necks out really long hahaha), and he asked for kale as well.  They both ate a ton of it!  Every time they would clear their plates, they would ask for more "leaves" because they were hungry giraffes.  By the time David got home from work late, there was hardly any kale left for him.  That is not usually a problem at our house.  We were having such fun at dinner.  What goofy kids I have.  I hope these hungry giraffes return to dinner often!

No comments:

Post a Comment