Friday, July 22, 2016

The new home

Since David is starting his fellowship here at OSU, we decided to settle in a little and buy a house.  Unfortunately, the neighborhood that we really wanted to live in is very expensive, so we decided to purchase a fixer-upper.  Um, why did some of the least handy people think they should own a fixer-upper for their first house? We have learned so much in the little bit of time we have been here.  We have also been surprised with lots of fixes to this 60 year old house we weren't exactly expecting.  So we still hope to do some remodeling and making some big changes, but it's been slow going so far.  Some of the things we have done though are paint several rooms and plant a garden.  It's neat watching the house change little by little and think about the renovations we plan on doing in the future.  It makes the house feel more like home.

Eliana getting ready to help me paint - she's pretty excited!

She loved this!  This is the room Eliana and William are sharing, which we painted a very pretty light purple.


Moving to the new house, Eliana also got a new big girl bed.  Now Williams' crib is squeezed into the corner, but they spend lots of time together playing in there.

Our new raised garden.  I built it myself (from a kit) and then had my parents help me till the ground and add soil.  This picture is from a month ago when I planted the garden.
Look, I hung up a towel ring!  All by myself using tools!  It only took me 45 minutes and a couple of google searches.

I also painted our bedroom.  The walls were originally the top right color - a pink/beige color.  Then I picked out the green on the left and really didn't like it, at least for our bedroom.  David picked out the blue-grey (less purple in real life vs the picture).  I admit, I should have listened to David in the first place; he chose a very beautiful color.  So now the whole room is blue.

Our new house came with an awesome wash line that I love!  Got my garden and wash line.  I'm a country girl at heart.

Eliana carrying in the zucchini for the day. For a while we were getting 4+ squash a day!

This garden has gown crazy!  I've never grown plants so well!  I'm guessing the secret is the Mircle Gro garden soil we used.  Or that I'm actually watering the plants.

Garden's bounty - we have had a ton of zucchini, plus green peppers, jalapeno, and cherry tomatoes.  We also have regular tomatoes and eggplant growing which should be ready to pick soon, plus just a few herbs. 
Owning our own home has been quite an adventure.  Hopefully I will have some update pictures to share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment