Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Teething again

For about a week Eliana has been waking up in the middle of the night and crying for hours.  She has been hard to put to bed, then wakes up an hour or two later crying, gets rocked to sleep, and then wakes up in the middle of the night crying for hours.  I have been going crazy trying to get her to sleep.  She'd be crying, I was crying.  It was awful!  Then, as I head off to work at 7:30 in the morning, she will be sleeping so peacefully and I would think, "That stinker, she stays up all night and then just wants to sleep in in the morning."  I kept picturing the nights when she was three and four months old when she would sleep from 11pm to 7am.  What happened to that baby?  Why is she such a terrible sleeper now?  Why does she torture me every night?

On Sunday evening, David and I played soccer with some friends.  We all took turns sitting out and watching Eliana on the sidelines.  One of our friends Rachel sat and played with Eliana for a while, then she asked me, "Is she getting a tooth on the top?"  I didn't think so but on closer inspection, I saw she did in fact have a top tooth poking through.  Then today I saw that she not only had one tooth coming in, but four!  Four teeth all at once!  No wonder she has been crying so much.  That has to be painful.  Now I feel bad for ever getting mad at her for crying so much during the night.  I also have hope that she might start sleeping better soon. 

By the time David was 8 months old, he had 8 teeth.  According to the Mayo Clinic, the average baby has 8 teeth by 12 months.  Just this past weekend I was telling David's parents that it looked like she wouldn't be keeping up with her daddy and have 8 by 8 months.  Looks like she is back in the race!  She will definitely have 6.  Eight months is still three weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment