Thursday, January 12, 2012

First night out - Trip to the ER

David and I got our first night out alone.  Unfortunately, it was a trip to the ER.  After dinner I started having severe pain to my right lower back.  When I started throwing up and couldn't breastfeed Eliana, David said it was time to call my mom to watch our daughter so he could take me to the ER.  I was so nervous for our little girl because at 10 days old she had never taken a bottle before and this was sink or swim time.  If she couldn't take a bottle, I wouldn't be there to breastfeed.  I should have know our little eater wouldn't have a problem.  She ate from the bottle like a champ, and when we ran out of breastmilk, she didn't bat an eye at formula.  She says, "I don't care how the food comes or what it tastes like, just as long as you feed me!"

Turns out I have a kidney stone.  What a time to get a kidney stone!  I was put on pain medicine, anti-nausea medicine, and Flomax, which is a med to make it easier to pee.  Flomax is most often given to elderly men with enlarged prostates.  When I checked with my OB to see if I could breastfeed while on this medication, they said no research had been done on breastfeeding on Flomax.  Really?  Elderly men with enlarged prostates aren't usually concerned about breastfeeding while taking Flomax??  Hmmm.... Luckily the urologist said I could stop taking it so I could continue to breastfeed Eliana.  I'm feeling much better now; the pain is under control.  Hopefully we won't be making any more trips to the ER any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment